SEND Information and Local Offer

Frequently Asked Questions

1) What kinds of Special Educational Needs does the school make provision for? What type of provision does the school make and how do they know it works?

All of our students have a diagnosis of autism. Any new entrants to the school need to have a diagnosis of autism due to our change of designation a few years ago. Our whole environment is structured to meet the needs of students with autism. We have a calm and structured environment and use visual communication aids to support students. We monitor every aspect of our provision on a rolling programme and work with other schools and organisations to ensure that we are meeting the needs of our students and helping them to achieve their ‘personal bests’.

2) How does the school identify and assess Special Educational Needs?

All of our students have an Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP).  Statements have  been transferred to Education, Health and Care plans (EHC plans) for all students. We often find that students have needs that are not identified by the plan and where this is the case, we work with others to amend the plan.

3) How do the school know how much progress is being made by pupils with Special Educational Needs?

We have robust systems of baseline assessments, recording data, target setting and tracking of progress in place. Targeted interventions are put in place for students who we feel are making less than expected progress. Our targets are set in line with national expectations for pupils with SEND using Progression Guidance. Regular parents evenings and annual review meetings take place. Parents are also able to arrange meetings at other times to discuss progress.

4) What extra-curricular activities can a pupil with Special Educational Needs access at School?

Seven Up provide after school activities on a Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday . Due to transport issues, we concentrate mainly on providing activities during holiday times. Seven Up put on events during half-term’s. We work with a range of groups to provide a comprehensive programme during the summer holidays.  The main group are The Albion Foundation.

5) Does the school have a Special Educational Needs Coordinator, if so who are they and how can someone get in touch with them?

We do not have a SENCO. We do have a Pastoral Manger, Sarah Eaton, who can be contacted at; If you want to arrange a visit you should contact;

6) What training do the staff in the school have in relation to pupils with Special Educational Needs?

The school became an autism specific school a few years ago. Since then most of the CPD has been geared towards working with students with autism. There is an induction programme for all staff and a mixture of voluntary and compulsory activities through the year.

7) How does the school get more specialist help for pupils if they need it?

We work with a range of professionals to enhance the help for students. For example; school nurse, speech and language therapist, occupational therapist and a clinical psychologist. We have an extended family of groups and people who we work with listed here.

8) How are parents of children and young people with Special Educational Needs involved in their own education?

We are happy to meet with parents as often as necessary to ensure that they are happy with the education children are receiving.

There are a range of opportunities, both formal and informal, for parents to come into school. These range from parents evening and, Annual Review meetings to special events and parent workshops. Class teachers are happy to speak to parents regularly on the phone and all pupils have a home school book for communication.

9) How are pupils with Special Educational Needs involved in their own education?

Students are given many opportunities throughout the day to make choices. Where appropriate we gather their views and encourage participation in review meetings. We also have a School Council.

10) If a parent or a child with SEND has a complaint about the school, how does the governing body deal with the complaint?

We always try to resolve things by working together. If the complaint is about a wider aspect of schooling, it is best to contact a member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT). We have a complaints policy which is based on the Birmingham Local Authority model. Electronic or paper copies of this document are available on request.

11) How does the Governing body involve other people in meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs including support for their families?

We employ a Pastoral Manager, Sarah Eaton, for 4 days a week and extra pastoral support – Lindsay Cotton.  Sarah’s role is to work closely with families for the benefit of all. We have an ‘extended family’ (see website) who we work with and we also work alongside a range of professionals such as: Occupational Therapist (Alison), Speech and Language Therapist (Juliette), Clinical Psychologist (Sally), to help us better meet the needs of our students.

12) Who are the support services that can help parents with pupils who have special educational needs?

The Birmingham Special Educational Needs & Disability Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) are available to help parents through the assessment process and can also help facilitate school visits and offer advice (0121 303 5004). SENAR are the department within the Local Authority who manage the assessment process, they can be contacted on (0121 303 1888). There are also parent support groups in Birmingham who offer support and guidance, several of these groups have parents of children with SEND who work with them. We can signpost to the appropriate organisation on request. Some information can be accessed via our Pastoral webpage.

13) How does the school support pupils with SEND through Transition?

There are 3 main elements to our transition work: Those who join for the Foundation Stage, those who join us from another placement during the school year and those who are leaving us for secondary school. We work very closely with families and other organisations to ensure that this process is effective. We know that transition for our students is a very complex area so we ensure that our attention to detail in these cases is high. We treat each case on its own merits but a high degree of planning goes in at all stages.

14) How can parents find the Birmingham LA Local Offer?

Birmingham’s Local offer can be found on the Birmingham Local Offer website. 

© Copyright 2017–2024 Hamilton School– View Privacy Notice

School & College Websites by Schudio